- Sound Puppet A Pen Friendship Between East and West
Chester, D., & Stalla, H. (2019) Sound Puppet: A Pen Friendship Between East and West, Seismograph Peer, Sonic Argumentation II.
- Let Me Recite What History Teaches
Chester, D., & Stalla, H. (2019) Let Me Recite What History Teaches, Speculative Nonfiction.
- Sound Mapping and Citizen Archivists
Chester, D. (2019). Sound Mapping as a Tool for Sharing Sonic Cultures. International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives (IASA) Journal, (50), 20-24.
- Abu Dhabi’s Cacophonous Soundscape
Chester, D. (2019). Beyond the Azhan: Abu Dhabi’s Cacophonous Soundscape. Journal of Sonic Studies, (18) Materials of Sound II.
- The Eaves
Chester, D., & Doyle, T. (2018) Women in Sound Women on Sound: Active Strategies to Address the Gender Imbalance in Sound, Music and Technology, The Eaves.
- Lest We Forget
Chester, D. (2016). Lest We Forget: In Conversation with Susan Meiselas and Michele Bambling, Tribe Magazine, Issue 38. March 2016.
- IASA Journal 45
Stalla, H., & Chester, D. (2015). Artists, Archivists, and Community. International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives (IASA) Journal, (45), 59–61.
- Affirmations of the Modern
Stalla, H., & Chester, D. (2016). Acquisition as Appropriation: From the Parthenon to the Abu Dhabi Guggenheim. Affirmations: Of the Modern, 4 (1), 127–142.
- Telematic Learning Environment
Chester, D. (2012). The telematic learning environment: Experiences and outcomes teaching via network audio. 2012 International Conference on Audio, Language and Image Processing, 756–762.
Chester, D. (2016). Creative Response-A New Look at Archiving: The Role Artists Play in Developing Creative Response from Field Recordings of Ethnographic Research.
Exhibitions & Installations
- Sounding Islam, The Sonic Storyboard, Exhibition, Inter Arts Center, Malmo, Sweden, June 2019
- Global Queerscape, “I Fought – Therefore I Am,” Pride Art Group Show, Oslo, Norway June 2019
- JESSE, The Others, Hobart Triennial, Australia May 2019.
- Global QueerScape, Kerrie Lowe Gallery, Sydney, Australia, February 2019.
- Jungle Dreamscape, Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney Australia, October 2018.
- Sound Map of the Islamic Call to Prayer, A sonic mapping projects that chronicles the Adan from mosques around the world.
- Etsy Biennale, Group Art Show in DUBMO, Brooklyn. Ghost, Organ, and Untitled 2016, All Gelatin Silver Prints shot on 4×5 film.
- Theyyam Ritual, Nature, and People, A walking art installation in collaboration with visual artist Dhanaraj Keezhara. February 2017 in Keezhara village, Kerala and April 2017 in Folklore Village Kannur, Kerala.
- Everyday Life: A Repertoire of Ritual and Performance: A multimedia exhibition in collaboration with Indian artist Dhanaraj Kheezara, fusing painting, drawing and spacialized sound composition in exploration of caste marginalization in Theyyam, IMA Hall, Kannur, India. December 2014.
- Adan Sonic Storyboard, An interactive installation exploring the sonic nuance of the call to prayer, fusing digital images, recorded sound, and sensor based data collection via microcontroller, Gallery 4211, Al Ain Tower, Abu Dhabi, UAE, May 2014.
- Babel, 8-channel audio installation inspired by the story of the tower of babel, co-composed with Associate Professor of Ethnomusicology Martin Daughtry, Abu Dhabi, 2011
- Jungle Dreamscape, Sonic Field, March 2019
- The Adventures of Unblocked Ears #3: Work, Sonic Field, February 2019
- Album: Theyyam, Sonospace Archive, March 2018.
- Soundmap for the Dreamer II, SonoSpace Sound Archive, January 2018.
- “Stein in Translation,” (5:51), Radiophrenia, Special Broadcast on Sound and Transmission Artwork, 87.9FM, Glasgow, UK, November 2017.
- “Composition as Exploration” A Hybrid Media Composition, that form shifts Gertrude Stein’s 1925 Essay, “Composition as Exploration.” The Eaves, October 2017.
- Sound Map: A sonic mapping project that chronicles the Adan from mosques around the world. Found at dianachester.com/soundmap.html.
- Etsy Biennale, Ghost, Organ, and Untitled, Gelatin Silver Prints shot on 4×5 film. 2016.
- Rub Al Khali (The Empty Quarter), Sound Design for film by French Director Sophie Bachelier, on Artists in the United Arab Emirates. April 2015.
- Kalima wa Nagham, Arabic language book authored by Nasser Isleem and Ghazi Abuhakema, Audio Book by Diana Chester, February 2015.
- Ramsah Emirati Dialect Language Book, Co-Authored by Nasser Isleem and Ayesha Al Hashemi, Audio Book by Diana Chester, April 2014.
- Destination Somewhere, soundscape for film, previewed in the telematic concert for peace, Abu Dhabi and New York, 2012.
- Traffic Jam, Basement Records, Delhi, India, 2008 (1 piece by D. Chester)
- When Not In Your Head, People Pin Productions, New York, 2007 (8 original compositions by D. Chester dianachester.com, iTunes)
- “Composition and New Technologies,” 2nd Annual International Conference of the Modernist Studies in Asia Network, Hosted by Aoyama Gakuin University, Japan. September 2019.
- “The Sonic Storyboard,” Public Lecture, InterArtsCenter, Malmo, Sweden, June 2019.
- “Modernism Meets the Oscillator,” Audio Paper Symposium: Performative Formats and Sonic Argumentation, Hosted by Lund University, Sweden, December 2018.
- “Sound Mapping as a Tool for Connecting Communities to Sound Recording,” International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives, Hosted by Legon University, Ghana, October 2018.
- “Audience as Performer: Interactive Exhibitions and the Call to Prayer,” Performance Studies Network Conference, Hosted by The Norwegian Academy of Music, July 2018.
- “Deep Listening: To Women” A Lecture on Women in Sound, Yale-NUS College, March 2018.
- “Form-Shifting Gertrude Stein,” Thinking Through the Digital, Hosted by Linköping University, Sweden, December 2017
- “Found in Translation: Connecting Cultural Heritage and Community through Sight and Sound,” panel convener and chair, NonfictioNOW Conference, Hosted by the University of Iceland, Reykjavik, Iceland, June 2017.
- “Mapping the adhan, the urban soundscape of Abu Dhabi City,” Urbanisms Conference: Yale- NUS College, Singapore, April 2016.
- “How Does Modernist Work Work Where?: Art and Politics In Modern Day India,” Australian Modernist Studies Network Conference: Modernist Work, University of New South Wales, Sydney, March 2016.
- “Digital Media Archivism: Considering the Role of Creative Scholars and Artists in Preserving Cultural Heritage,” UWC Mahindra Faculty Lecture Series, October 2015.
- “Composition as Appropriation: Claim and Resist, Resist and Claim,” Australian Modernist Studies Network Conference: Transnational Modernisms, University of Sydney, Australia, December 2014.
- “Artist as Archivist,” Plenary Speaker at International Association of Sound and Audio Visual Archives Conference, Cape Town, South African, October 2014.
- “Sonic Storyboard: The Call to Prayer,” Noise From the Middle East: A Micro-Festival of Electronic Music, Abu Dhabi, UAE April 2014.
- “Art as Music: Travelling Cortex/Unravelling Core Text,” New York University Abu Dhabi Music Lecture Series, Abu Dhabi, April 2014.
- “Effective Classroom Design for Information Literacy and Learning,” Information Literacy Network of the Gulf Region, Abu Dhabi, 2012.
- “The Telematic Learning Environment: Experiences and Outcomes Teaching via Network Audio,” International Conference on Audio, Language and Image Processing, Shanghai, 2012.